Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Homemade Popcorn with Nutritional Yeast!


Yes. Nothing is impossible. I thought that, living in this rural place, I would never be able to get nutritional yeast. But thanks to Carolie who sent me two jars of it -- as well as many other goodies --, now I'm enjoying the afternoon munching on homemade popcorn sprinkled with generous amount of nutritional yeast (and salt, of course ;))


Yeah, this does taste like cheese. Yum!


Ah... Homemade popcorn. It reminds me of the fun times I had when I was younger... like my first slumber party(?) in the U.S., winter vacation at my dorm-mate's house, and "video and popcorn nights" (in those days there was no such thing as DVDs. Ahem!) at a friend's place on campus... I had a real love-and-hate relationship with salty and buttery homemade popcorn then. Now I'm older more health-conscious and my choice this time was homemade popcorn with canola, nutritional yeast and a little less salt than I used to use. But I have to admit that munching on popcorn still makes me feel younger ;)


Categories:

9 comments:

Carolie said...

Hurray!! I'm so glad you enjoyed it! Let me know if you run out and I will get you more. I love the stuff, and use it a lot (it's especially good sprinkled on minestrone soup!)

Let me know if there are other foods I can get for you!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

I love nutritional yeast and it's gorgeous taste! A wonderful idea to combine it with popcorn!

cheers,

Rosa

K and S said...

never tried nutritional yeast but is sounds really good :)

Mama Mia said...

homemade popcorn is the best!

Anonymous said...

Nutritional yeast? I guess it could be like a vegan cheese powder? I grew up eating popcorn with just a sprinkle of sugar, but I don't know if that seems weird to people outside of Hong Kong.

gfartaria said...

When I was younger I used to make them using oil and eat them with sugar sprinkled on top. Now I make them in the microwave and don't put anything on them. They taste good that way and I like them while drinking some green tea.
That's interesting, nutritional yeast. Maybe I'll try it.

Anonymous said...

wow. the popcorn looks nicer than the cinema's!

Anonymous said...

I didn't realize nutritional yeast tasted like cheese! What a great idea for popcorn.

obachan said...

Carolie
I REALLY enjoyed it. Thank you so much, Carolie. Yeah, this must be great with minestrone and other soup dishes! I'm gonna give it a try soon... And "grits with nutritional yeast," too. :D

Rosa
Yeah, such a good idea. :) It's nice to find out that there are healthy alternatives for most of "not-so-healthy" food that I love.

K & S
It is. :)

Lina
You can say that again ;)

Christine
Well, there is such thing as candied popcorn, so I guess there's nothing wrong with your sugar-popcorn combination. ;)

G
Yeah, and the nutritional yeast version may be pretty good with green tea, too. (It's just my hunch, though.)

Renaye
Of course. ;);)

Manju
Yes. Isn't blogging great? It's like a window to thousands of great ideas.