Sunday, June 10, 2007

Chocolate Cherry Cake


Chocolate Cherry Cake or Cherry Chocolate Cake?

To tell you the truth, I’ve already done some baking after I came back from the hospital. As far as I remember, I baked yogurt & blueberry muffins, yogurt & cherry muffins, cheese and ham muffins and yogurt pancakes. And as for cooking, I probably cooked more often compared to usual month-end weeks. In my recovery period, I wanted to eat at home feeling relaxed, rather than eating out. Then why didn’t I post about them? Well, for one thing, what I made did not turn out very photogenic. But the biggest reason was that I didn’t feel like taking the time to take photos before eating when I was not completely back to normal.



However, today I felt a strong urge to bake something fancy AND post about it like I used to do. Yeah, it was about time. I chose something I had always wanted to try: the combination of dark cherries and chocolate cake. So I pitted these cherries and soaked them in sherry early this morning.

I used the same chocolate cake recipe(Japanese) as the one I used for my birthday cake last March, and had a great success again. For a little twist, I saved the sherry after draining the cherries and added a small amount to the syrup I made. It turned out to be a wonderfully-flavored syrup to moisten the sliced chocolate cake.

The sherry-soaked cherries were a little too many for this small (15 cm) cake. I started with a different decoration in mind, but ended up with this in order to use up all the cherries. Yeah, I’m not too proud of the way this looks, to be honest. Well, I’ll know better next time ;)

Anyway, this was a celebration of my recovery and I had so much fun. But I would definitely enjoy making this type of cake much more if I could slice a cake evenly. Any tips?

Hey, has anyone tried this dental floss trick?


Categories:

12 comments:

Evangeline said...

noooo...there's not too many cherries! i love cherries and the more the merrier :D

btw congratulations on your great recovery!

Anonymous said...

Good to see you back at home enjoying some good home made food. That Chocolate Cherry Cake looks magnificent and so elegant..... makes me hungry for cherries. Actually I was in the local store today, wondering whether there would be some cherries. :) Well enjoy!

Anonymous said...

Oh and my mum seeing your design is telling me its perfect. :)

Salieri said...

i'm glad to see you're recovered!

i would slice the cherries to put between the layers, or try an upside-down cake. or, you could reduce the liquid in your cake batter, and then swirl in the sherry and cherries directly in, and frost and decorate the cake with one cherry on each slice.

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Oh, that cake looks extremely gorgeous! I could do with a slice of it ;-P...

Anonymous said...

Obachan,

Like most Black Forest cake, they have the cherries sliced in half and put them between the layers. I understand that in Japan cherries cost a lot so it may seem a lot for you to use. But hey, indulge that sweet cake and enjoy!

Robin said...

I actually kind of like all the cherries on top. It makes it look like the cake is just bursting with cherryness! :D

obachan said...

Evangeline
Thank you.
I love cherries, but “the more the merrier” approach can be a bit dangerous here… ;) Fruits are expensive here in Japan. Actually these imported cherries are less expensive. But these varieties grown in northern part of Japan are sooooo expensive!

Mako
I guess it’s cherry season over there, too?
Please say hi and thank you to your mum from me : )

Yung-i chang
Thanks for the tips. To tell you the truth, I chopped more than half of the cherries in small pieces and mixed with the cream and put between the cake layers. But it’s kinda hard to see in the photo, I guess. The white cream with dark red cherry bits showing between the dark brown cake layers… I just love it.

rosa
I finished a quarter of it at once :P It was good… well, maybe I soaked the cherries in sherry a bit too long…

Cocogirl
I chopped the cherries in small bits instead of slicing them. I thought it would make it easier when I cut the cake.

Moryera
Yeah, cherryness! :D I love that. Nevertheless, I would like to try a different decoration next time.

Anonymous said...

Sure, did.
Yup it is cherry season.... got a bowl full of them. :)

obachan said...

I'm green with envy. Sigh...

Anonymous said...

Obachan~
I love baking too.
Can you translate the chocolate cake recipe into English for me? cos i can't read japanese ^^. Onegai~
Arigato.

obachan said...

Hi Littlepolaris,
Thanks for your comment. Can you email me at the address on the sidebar? If clicking on the "email me" link does not open a window, right-click on it and copy&paste my email address. TKS.