Monday, November 26, 2007

Earlier Start Than Last Year



Now it's that time of the year again. Yep, time to soak dried fruit. For what?
For Christmas, of course!
;)

For whatever reason, amaretto was on sale at the liquor section of the supermarket I regularly shop at. I was familiar with the name, and had read somewhere that it is used for cakes, but never actually tried it. Wanting something "different" for the fruitcake this year, I bought a small bottle of the almond based liqueur.

When I opened the bottle, heavenly aroma came out, which somehow reminded me of something very familiar. "AH! 杏仁豆腐(Chinese almond jelly)!" I thought. Yes, nice aroma. But for my fruitcake, I wanted a kick of something stronger, like rum.

So that's what I did. Amaretto and rum. Did I go off the wall again? I read that some people soak dried fruit with amaretto and add brandy. I also read that there is a cocktail you can make by mixing amaretto and rum. So ... how about 'amaretto and rum' version of fruitcake? I don't know. We'll see...

Oh, I found out that the language school I work for does not have a Christmas event. I'll have no chance to share my gingerbread fun with kids. Oh well... I'll make gingerbread people anyway for my own pleasure.


Categories:

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Obachan!
Only 30 days till Christmas!I went to the Christmas parade and I loved it. I look forward to see your holiday treats:) fruit cakes? Gingersnap? chapagne gelatin?

ps.i am craving firm boiled mentaiko soup.. mentaiko rice and just spicy,salty raw mentaiko... ahhh

obachan said...

Hi Ireney,
I know. And I need to do a lot in less than 30 days... :O
I've never tried champagne gelatin before, but it sounds so tempting. I might give it a try this year. My, I need to start looking for recipes for my Christmas dinner...

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Wow, I'm looking forwards to seeing what you are going to bake!

Cheers,

Rosa

Ms One Boobie said...

Wow..!! donch keep us in suspense for too long. ;) whatever you are baking.. i'm sure it would come out really pretty..;)

Jo said...

Too bad you don't get to share your gingerbread people with the school children. I had great pleasure making them for my son in school. When my son was in first grade, I made 10 dozen for his class. The teacher used it as a learning experience and the children were given pennies to buy decorations for the cookies. 5 chocolate chips were 5 pennies, raisins were 1 penny, etc. The children were able to make their whole family, and they got to practice their money skills.

obachan said...

Rosa
I'm looking forward to seeing your gorgeous recipes for Christmas, too. :)

Mamabok
Thank you. I hope so, too ...

Jo
Wow, sounds like a lot of fun. It would be a lot more challenging here, but I really would like to give it a try someday.