Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Nabe with Yuzu Kosho


Tori dango (chicken meatball) Nabe

It was so darn cold here today. I bet more than 90% of Japanese had nabe dinner tonight.
Oh, I'm positive. ;)


This green stuff right next to the grated daikon radish is not wasabi. It is yuzu kosho, green chili paste flavored with yuzu zest. This condiment was not so popular 5 years ago, but thanks to a popular TV cooking show, it has become popular throughout Japan recently.

What's nice about yuzu kosho is that it has refreshing citrus flavor AND a spicy kick. That is why it is so versatile... Now many Japanese foodies use this condiment to spice up meat, poultry, fish, tofu, potato, noodles, tempura and even pasta dishes, not to mention various sauces and dressings. (Actually I was going to try out "tuna cream pasta with yuzu kosho" today, but it was so cold that I couldn't resist the temptation of nabe dish.)

Ahhh... I have to get up extremely early tomorrow morning to work at the bento shop... Sigh


Categories:

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

One of my favourite izakayas has a dish that is crispy skin chicken, served with shikuwasa kosho!! It is delicious. I love anything that has kosho in the name, it seems! This nabe looks great - and I can't wait to try it with yuzu kosho! A couple of nights ago I had some spicy miso nabe - and that is definitely going to be repeated! I think it is nabe again tonight! Enjoy this coldness with nabe!

K and S said...

this is a perfect way to warm up on a cold evening!

Cheesywee said...

the tori dango nabe looks really really comforting and delicious! I suppose most americans would think of chicken pot pie on cold days but nabe is soo much more light and simple! I would love to see you do a japanese-chicken pot pie. I'm sure it would be successful!

Anonymous said...

Obachan I like how seasonal your cooking is. It's winter again. Today in Washington DC, we have our first winter snow. It's kind of pretty actually.

etsuko said...

Wow, you must be psychic! We did have nabe on Tuesday, Kimchi nabe!

Ms One Boobie said...

I should make this too.. :)
It's cold here.. Obachan..!

Anonymous said...

Its cold here in SoCal too! It SNOWED a little bit in the city that I live in~ I love this nabe dish! It sounds so cozy! We can buy "yuzu kosho" at the big Asian supermarket chain "99 Ranch" here in SoCal, so I may try to make something like this dish! I think cold weather is a good time for cooking some nice comfort food~