Friday, June 27, 2008

TLA #2 - Sorry! Sorry! Sorry!! -


Tanezaki Beach, near Urado bridge

Today I didn't have to work in the morning, so I was there (see above photo) all morning. Sorry the photo is not very good... it was taken with my cell phone camera. As you can see, the weather was pretty good, considering that this area is still in the rainy season.


And sorry! I forgot to blur this photo to hide the fish eyes. Hope you don't get put off too much. Anyway, I HAD TO take this photo for the record. ;) Yep, I'm happy. These are much better fish than the sardines I caught the other day, and with much, much less worry about the pollution. Yeah, great result! -- if only they were adult fish. :P Hahaha... Right. These were babies and could have been as small as the bait other anglers were using there this morning to catch big fish. I didn't return these babies to their parents but brought them home and ate them for lunch. See? The author of this blog is such a cold-blooded woman.

But in my defence, it is well known -- at least around here -- that deep-fried baby horse mackerels are such a delicacy. Just sprinkle with salt and pepper, then flour and deep-fry. Twice. Yes, you deep-fry them until slightly golden brown, take them out and drain the oil, and then put them back into the oil to deep-fry again until nicely golden brown. Oh, can you imagine how nice and crunchy they turn out to be? Even the bones and tails turn so crunchy and tasty!

And -- So SORRY! I forgot to take a photo of my deep-fried baby mackerels this time! I mean, ... there were only four of them and I didn't want them to turn cold and soggy, and from the first bite they tasted so good that I couldn't stop... :O


Categories:

13 comments:

K and S said...

love these photos and way to go on your catch! no need to apologize :)

Anonymous said...

Wow! I am impressed!!!

Winnie

Helen said...

Wow, that's a really good photo for a cellphone! The sky is beautiful. So are the fish! I'm glad you didn't blur the eyes - they're so clear you can tell they were freshly caught. I live 10 hours from the ocean, and 2 hours from any significant fishing lake, so they're a sight I don't get to see too often.

Pinkity said...

Obachan, you're so cute! No worries, I can already imagine how tasty those mackerels are!

Anonymous said...

When I went shopping with my mom years and years ago, she said that you can tell how fresh the fish are from their eyes - they should still be clear. So I'm glad you showed the eyes of the fish, so I can share in the freshness of your catch :)

Anonymous said...

Yummm. What is that pink fish? It looks delicious~!

(Tindy)

obachan said...

K & S
Thanks, Kat. :)

Winnie
Hahaha... I'll be posting about more impressive results sometime soon... hopefully.

Helen
Oh, my. I shouldn't complain about my less-than-an-hour bicycle ride, then. I'm going to post some more photos of waterfront scenes this summer. Hope you enjoy them. :)

Pinkity
Good imagination.
Actually, catching those baby horse mackerels wasn't so much fun, because they are too small that you hardly notice the bite. But eating them was... Mmmmmmm..... ;);)

Christine
It's so nice of you to say that. Thanks.

Tindy
It's sea bream. Yeah, it's a good fish... again, if only it was an adult fish. Hahaha...

Anonymous said...

I like your photo, (fish eyes and ll) almost a trophy photo of your catch of the day!
Frying the Horse Mackerel twice, great idea for crisp and crunchy not soggy and greasy. Thanks, I'll try that.
Who was it that said, "I will eat no cow before its time"? Well, I agreed until I had veal and lamb!
And well fish are in a different category. Right? I ate all sorts of dried baby fish as a kid.
Thanks again!
Rei

Anonymous said...

Oh I forgot to ask about Tanezaki Beach and Urado Bridge. Are you still in Kochi? Beautiful looking day and very nice photo for a cell phone!
Rei

obachan said...

Rei
Thanks for your supportive comment. I was worried that readers might think I'm like Glenn Close in 101 Dalmatians, but you saved me. LOL

Yep, I'm still in Kochi, and that area is really photogenic. :)

Anonymous said...

Wow, I love that you can fish and eat what you catch! First the sardines, and now these beauties. Yes, it's quite a satisfying feeling to crunch through those tiny bones -- and with good calcium for your bones too! Great photos! : )

Anonymous said...

No need to apologize - those fish look SO good! Why hide the eyes anyway - helps to figure out whether they are worth buying!

-Mei

obachan said...

Manju
So nice to hear from someone who understands. ;)

Mei
I appreciate your supportive comment, Mei.